In this episode, a chat with Nathan Lee Miller Foster aka Occult Fan about occult symbolism in the Twin Peaks Universe.
If you’re a fan of filmmaking, you’re undoubtedly familiar with David Lynch and the surreal stories and soundscapes he’s contributed to the lexicon of popular culture. His work is filled with an education typically reserved for initiates and adepts of the various mystery schools found throughout our occulted history, and one of those works that speaks perhaps the greatest truth most of us have never known is found in a universe known simply as Twin Peaks.
Comprised of the original thirty television episodes, a feature film called Fire Walk With Me, a novel published by the show’s co-creator Mark Frost called The Secret History of Twin Peaks, and the television reboot that premieres Sunday, May 21st on Showtime, the Twin Peaks Universe has done more to divulge the true nature of reality than perhaps any other piece of art ever has or will.
On the surface, Twin Peaks is more of a story about conspiracy and corruption in a small town in Washington State than it ever was a story about who killed Laura Palmer. But unravel a thread here and unpeel a layer there and you’ll discover a world inhabited by duæling magicians, Jungian archetypes, mutable realities and extradimensional entities, with references to everything from the writings of Aleister Crowley, UFOs, secret societies and the secret space program to Lewis & Clark, alchemy, Native American mysticism and Jack Parsons’ Babalon Working.
And while I’m not nearly famous enough to pull a guest like David Lynch or Mark Frost--and believe me, I tried--I did get the next best thing: an occult fanboy named Nathan Lee Miller Foster who has lent his ear and support to me as I venture down this podcasting path, and someone who’s shown me privately just how well he can dissect occult symbols and themes in showpieces such as this. And now it’s time for him to do the same thing for you publicly. Nathan Lee is full of extradimensional energies and eccentricities, and as any of our grandfathers would say, he’s quite the character. We’ve struck up a bit of a friendship, so this conversation may strike you as a bit more casual than most. Honestly, while I was in the midst of it I had no idea how it would play back, but after editing it I have to say that we turned a molehill into a magical mountain that David Lynch and Mark Frost would be proud of.
This requires a bit of working knowledge of the Twin Peaks Universe, and those of you who have that will hopefully appreciate our efforts. And those of you who may not know the first thing about it, well, I hope what you’re about to hear piques your curiosity, pun definitely intended.
- “The Secret History of Twin Peaks” by Mark Frost: http://amzn.to/2qJyTfO
- “Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons” by John Carter, with an introduction by Robert Anton Wilson: http://amzn.to/2r4R4PV
- “Moonchild” by Aleister Crowley: http://amzn.to/2rDXq60
- Black & white lodges: http://edgeba.webs.com/blackandwhitelodges.htm
- Dualism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism
- Jungian archetypes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes
- Mutable realities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse
- Extradimensional entities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interdimensional_hypothesis
- Native American mysticism: http://www.dwildepress.net/critica/native1.html
- Jack Parsons’ Babalon Working: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babalon_Working
- Ætheric consciousness: http://www.plotinus.com/subtle_bodies_copy.htm
- The Lesser Key of Solomon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Key_of_Solomon
- Joseph Campbell’s monomyth “The Hero’s Journey”: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero%27s_journey
- Rick Strassman’s work on psychedelics: https://www.rickstrassman.com/
- The videos of Frater Xavier: https://www.youtube.com/user/mindandmagick
- The work of Mike Clelland: http://hiddenexperience.blogspot.com/
Vestron Vulture - “I Want to be a Robot (Tribute to Giorgio Moroder)”
This podcast is produced in the Kingdom of Ohio and licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/legalcode